There comes is point of time where your Mac hard drive gets totally full. And there is no other way to make it empty rather by keeping it or moving it to other storages. For this situation, we have got the best solution to it and that is to back up your iTunes to an External HD. Easily you can move the whole iTunes library files to an external Hard drive to empty the space.
People love to listen to music or watch movies and collect photos as well. But you need an extra space or memory to save the files as your Mac device is not enough to store the files. To store or move the large amount of iTunes library files. In this case, you can use external HD and either store or move the files into another Mac device.
Right before we started, it is always necessary to keep back up of your data files. And to do this you will a USB cable, external HD, Mac device. Learn the steps to back up your iTunes to an External Hard Drive as mentioned below.
- 1 Several Ways to Back Up iTunes to an External Hard Drive:
- 2 Verdict:
Several Ways to Back Up iTunes to an External Hard Drive:
Now here we are sharing all the possible way to backup itunes to an external hard drive. just follow the steps and save your all file to an external hard drive.
Consolidate Library files:
Make sure not to miss out copying any of the files, from the iTunes over to an external HD. It is very important to consolidate library files. Check out how to do that on your Mac as the steps are given below.
- Step 1: At first launch your iTunes using your Mac device.
- Step 2: Now you have to click on the “file” option which is on top most left portion of the screen.
- Step 3: Into it choose the “library option” and the select “organize library”. After that tick on the “Consolidate Files” option from the organize library windows.
- Step 4: And then click on the “OK”
It may take a little while to create a copy of the available iTunes files into the media folder of iTunes. So you better be patient.
Also Read some best related article:
- Fix iPhone Stuck On Apple Logo Without Losing Data?
- Fix iPhone Won’t Connect to iTunes Store Error?
- set up Two Step Verification for Your Apple ID?
Move the iTunes Library Files into an External HD:
Moving iTunes library files into an external hard drive is quite easy and simple. Follow these steps are provide below as in details.
- Step 1: First off, you will have to quit the iTunes.
- Step 2: And after that, create a connection of external HD into Mac by using USD cable.
- Step 3: Now you have to click on the “finder option”. And then launch the window of the finder on your Mac.
- Step 4: Choose your Mac device hard drive and then click on the “music folder”
- Step 5: After that choose the “iTunes” and then move it into the external HD by dragging.
- Step 6: Click on the “Authenticate” option when it appears to provide permission for moving the folder of iTunes.
- Step 7: And then provide the “administrator password” and then click on “OK”
This method will take you at least 2 to 3 hours, and that is depending on the file size of the stored data in iTunes library.
Redirecting iTunes into the new location:
When you complete the file transferring of the copied iTunes library into an external HD, then you will have to set a new path for the iTunes application simply by redirecting it. And then to make a search of the external HD, instead of your local drive.
- Step 1: Firstly, launch the iTunes and then press the option key at the same moment.
- Step 2: Now click on the “choose library” option into the windows.
- Step 3: Choose your external HD and the option is available into the “Finder sidebar”.
- Step 4: And the click on iTunes and then select open.
Always remember that before you delete the iTunes file present on your local hard drive. There is an option to switch the iTunes libraries that is used by launching the application and then pressing the “option key” at the same moment.
Check on whether it worked:
After you finished performing the above first three process accurately, at the moment you launch iTunes. It must display to you as it look before. And you can also make a double check to confirm whether the migration is working or not by checking the details of any content.
- Step 1: After launching the iTunes, you have to choose a song or podcast or movie or application and others.
- Step 2: Go for the right-click option on the song. And choose “Get info” option from the menu.
- Step 3: Now you have to click on the “file” tab from the information into the windows.
- Step 4: Search under the “location” to confirm the content being store under /volumes/externalharddrivename/ as the replacement of Users/localharddrivename/
Delete the available old iTunes library:
After completing the copied file transfer of the iTunes library into an external HD. Also redirect the iTunes into the new location and then delete the folder of the iTunes which lies on local hard drive. At the same time you have to free up the space on your Mac.
Remember that if you have created a copy of file transfer into another Mac device. If it is then there is no need of performing
- Step 1: First off, quit the iTunes and then choose the “Finder” option and click on it.
- Step 2: Now choose Mac hard drive. After that choose Mac hard drive and click on “Music folder”.
- Step 3: Choose “iTunes” options and then drag into the trash.
Always keep in mind to keep the external HD connect into your Mac device. At the time you launch the iTunes.
Move the iTunes library files into New Mac:
At the time you have the iTunes library into an external HD. It is possible to relocate into another Mac. Follow these steps to move the iTunes library files into New Mac.
- Step 1: The first step is you have to quit the “iTunes” on Mac.
- Step 2: After that create a connection of external HD into new Mac with the help of USB Cable.
- Step 3: And then you have to open the external hard drive as soon as it pops up on your Mac screen.
- Step 4: Now click on the “Finder” option on new Mac to launch it on the window.
- Step 5: Choose the new Mac hard drive and then click on the “Music folder”
- Step 6: You have to drag the “iTunes” folder, right from the external HD into the “Music” folder on new Mac.
- Step 7: After that you will have to launch the iTunes, and then hold down the “option key” at the same moment.
- Step 8: Now to select click on the “Choose library” and as soon as the window get pops up. And then you have to choose the “local hard drive” that lies under device which is exactly in the Finder sidebar.
- Step 9: Choose the “Music folder” and then click on the “iTunes” options to open it.
In this way you have successfully Move the iTunes library files into New Mac.
Here you have all the available ways to back up your iTunes to an External HD. Apply all the above mentioned steps to perform backup files into your external hard drive. These above mentioned process are all experimented and provides to you effective results. Try out any of the steps that are shown above and get the work done on your Mac by today itself.
Some best article:
- How To Change Clash of Clans Gmail Account ID?
- Setting up Your Verizon Webmail Account for Android, iPhone, Mac and PC
- Best Bluetooth FM Transmitter for Car (iPhone & Android)
- Best Total War Game for PC (windows & MAC) 2017
- Find Your Default Gateway IP Address?
- Fix a 400 Bad Request Error Message? [solved]
- Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070057 [Solved]?
- How to Take a Screenshot on a PC (Windows & Mac)
- Fix Windows 10 start menu not working Error?
- Fix DNS Probe Finished No Internet Error